opaqueice;352224 Wrote:
> You regard an internet search for copyright-constrained ABX samples as
> evidence that "most" ABX testing uses short samples, and from there
> conclude that the ABX protocol is invalid?  Don't be silly.
>
> It is true that there is evidence that some differences are easier to
> hear when switches take place relatively quickly.  In fact I can
> confirm that this is true based on my own experience - it's much easier
> to hear the differences between high and medium rate MP3s, for example,
> if you first find a passage where you hear it, and then focus in on
> that passage a switch back and forth relatively rapidly.  However I
> have no reason to think -all- differences are easier to hear that way,
> and often when audiophiles to ABX testing it's in fact impossible to
> switch rapidly (if you're comparing two sets of cables, for example),
> so I would say it's probably that most such tests are -not- done that
> way.
>

> Of -course- it's not!  Those are two tests out of thousands - and
> you're trying to conclude something about MOST abx tests?
>

> PART of their results agree (the part that show that the HFS alone are
> inaudible), and PART disagree.
>

> I'll try one more time.  Everyone seems to agree that HFS alone are
> inaudible based on PET brain scans etc.  But these guys find that
> HFS+LFS is different from just LFS.  So there is something very bizarre
> and non-linear going on if they are right.  My point was that we have no
> way of knowing whether that bizarre non-linear thing is in their
> equipment or in people's heads.
>
> To summarize:  we know that neither brains nor gear respond to HFS
> alone, but that brains+gear respond to HFS+LFS differently than to LFS
> alone.  But we don't - and can't - know whether that difference is due
> to brains or due to gear.  The fact that gear doesn't respond to HFS
> alone is irrelevant, because neither do brains!

Mr O - with the greatest of respect (and that is NOT a phrase I use
lightly) - could I beg you to apply your brain power to my question and
to take your discussions on the ABX issue with Nick to another thread.

I need both of your different wisdoms applied to my problem - sorry to
appear selfish, but I'm sure you know what I mean?
Best regards
Phil

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)