GuyDebord;401096 Wrote:
> Since I got the Lyngdorf DPA-1 I listen everyday from the transporter
> (16/48 alacs) and from my vinyl source which gets converted to a
> digital 24/192 signal, and boy is there a difference! Even my 5 year
> old kid detects it and Im not kidding...
>
> Last friday I was doing comparisons, before the DPA-1, I knew that
> almost any record played on my vinyl system would sound better, an easy
> referral for all would be Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" (1992 US
> Columbia/Sony Mastersound 24kt Gold Remastered edition) vs the 180gr
> vinyl no special edition, vinyl makes the gold remaster sound like a
> 128mp3. My surprise came when I experienced the ADC 24/192 conversion,
> the digital version kept every subtlety and nuance of the vinyl,
> resolution and soundstage was rendered equal, as a matter fact, I am
> still surprised and cannot help to positively speculate on the future
> capacities of High-res digital audio formats!
>
> So to my ears, the quality of 24/192 playback is way beyond 16/48.
> Either Linn is doing some up sampling trickery or you used to work in
> an airport platform close to the planes...

Here's something to try - take that 24/192 file and downconvert it
(using a good program like Adobe Audition or SSRC dbPowerAmp) to
16/44.

Have a listen and tell us if there's a big difference.  I've tried this
with some 24/96 and 24/192 material and honestly cannot tell a big
difference.  I ABX'ed with some AudioTechnica ATH-M50 headphones once
through Benchmark DAC-1 and marginally scored higher with the high-def
tracks but doubt will be able to hear it on the main system.

My suspicion is that the vinyl mastering probably just sounds better to
you and you're recording that 'kind' of sound irrespective of bit depth
or sampling frequency.

--
Archimago