pfarrell;435946 Wrote:
> The problems of print media are well known. I still subscribe to TAS and
> Stereophile, but there really isn't much of value in either.

And it has nothing to do with the built-in conflict of interest.  IMO
it is the emergence of everyman journalism that really rankles the
"professionals" - especially when the everyman knows his stuff and the
professional does not.

I'm reminded of a thread on the TAS message board which challenged
Robert Harley for calling a new music server product a "turnkey" system
- even though to use it required the separate purchase of a video
display, a DAC, and a NAS.  Steve Stone also weighed in on the component
and implied it also required a PC or MAC running iTunes.  When he was
asked for clarification, he turned into a child, making incoherent rants
and insults about the questioner.  Mr. Stone ended up deleting several
of the questioner's posts and SEVERAL OF HIS OWN RESPONSES.  No
clarification about the product was ever given.  He gave the excuse that
accurate and coherent reports about new products were not possible due
to time constraints, and so most journalists just parrot the
manufacturer's claims and leave it at that.  It's amazing that he could
call himself a journalist while writing that.  It's even more
instructive to note that the message board went almost totally stagnant
after Stone took his ball and went home - indeed, who would bother to
post there when the Emperor just deletes stuff he doesn't like?  He even
deleted his own message explaining that he just deleted a bunch of
messages, I suppose to make it look like the whole thing never
happened.

Soooo...don't expect accuracy or even competency when you open the
pages of the "professional" audio rags.  That emperor has been naked for
a long time, and nowhere is it more evident than in the realm of music
servers.  Some audio writers think they are computer savvy because they
use a MAC to type their reviews.  But when they try to write about
computer-based audio, they are no longer huddled in their safe secret
audiophile clubhouse.  The millions of computer-savvy readers know
immediately when the reviewer is full of it.

--
Pale Blue Ego