The Clip+ is the first memory player I have ever bought, for much the
same reasons as the OP. While it might be overkill, quality wise, for
most situations, there are those situations where the extra quality can
be apreciated, such as in a quiet hotel room, or hooked up through an
aux connection in a parked car. The 8gb model can hold almost 8 hours of
FLAC files, and adding 16 more hours, via a 16gb microsd card, could not
be easier. I find that sufficient. While transcoding might be easy, its
even easier to drag and drop files that already exist. While some find
tagging and transcoding easy, others of us are not quite so adept.

--
konut