kphinney;508271 Wrote:
> He said he didn't want to transcode.  End of story.  Transcoding itself
> is easy, but it's a pain in the @ss just the same.  You need to have a
> FLAC library, keep it separate from the MP3 library, then devise
> creative ways to manage, compare, and update each library.

What is there to manage? One manages their FLAC library, the MP3s are
"only" the ones one wants on the portable device. Only somebody that has
to much time on their hands and to much money converts every FLAC file
to MP3. Only the songs one wants to listen to on the portable player
need be converted. If one loves only one song on a CD, why convert the
whole ripped FLAC CD to MP3, just convert the one song.

Nothing needs compared, updated, or managed on the MP3 side once the
'favorites' are converted to MP3. And if one uses Vortexbox to rip with,
one has both already anyway.

kphinney;508271 Wrote:
> I travel with FLAC, I sync with FLAC, and I'm slowly getting grid of the
> residual mp3s left from the early days.  Why would one want to step
> backward?

Its not stepping backwards, what it is is not using over kill for the
purpose at hand. Very few portable devices can even use the fidelity
available from FLAC. Then on top of that, one is using headphones in a
less then desirable environment.

kphinney;508271 Wrote:
> As for storing more tracks, you are obviously wrong, if he doesn't wish
> to delete his FLAC library: FLAC alone < FLAC + MP3.

Robin was talking about storing more files on the small portable
device, doh! One can always get more total songs on a portable device
using MP3 files versus FLAC files. And who cares about storage of two
libraries in FLAC and MP3 when a 1.5TB USB drive is under $100 and
internals at 2TB.

Last but not least, from one of your prior posts in this thread, it
appears you have an iPhone. Are you saying you don't have any tunes to
listen to on your iPhone since it doesn't do FLAC?

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Mains, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope
2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Second Boom