JezA;510264 Wrote:
> It doesn't make sense to me to buy a NAIM DAC and a Touch. The music you
> want to listen to is on a hard drive - no way should you have to convert
> that to s/pdif to get it into a DAC when it could/should be streamed
> direcetly. Linn do it right with the DS, Logitech do it right with the
> Transporter etc;

Could you quantify what "do it right" means apart from the obvious
"avoid s/pdif" which indeed can simply things, but does not in itself
rule out the possibility of doing it equally well by other means.

> Plus, don't Naim suggest you'll need a power supply for their (£2k)
> DAC?

Like any other hi-fi company Naim always suggests going further up the
hardware hierarchy for better sound. The DAC works fine on the internal
supply.

> Plus a £300 mains lead for each?

See my previous answer, including the part saying that the DAC is
provided with a power cable, so again this is a upgrade rather than
necessity.

> Plus their own expensive s/pdif leads. What kind of engineering is
> that!?!?!

See my previous answers. Their Naim DAC removes all jitter, but the
process depends heavily on the quality of the S/PDIF signal, so it is
understandable that they would want the cable to meet certain
requirement as the DAC could otherwise become rather ordinary in terms
of jitter-handling.

I don't know why you seem to consider Naim's cabling system so
outragous. In fact their recommended and own speaker and signal cables
are moderately priced. Basically at the cheapest level compared to e.g.
a company such as Chord. A whole bunch of other manufacturers tout
cables costing much more. And it is only recommended practise. Several
inexpensive alternative offerings are available.

In any case. Naim's products are costly and should as such be
considered on equal terms with other luxery products. That is to say, it
is a very personal matter whether it is worth it or not. Some buy
expensive cars, art, houses, or/and travels etc., and some by expensive
hi-fi. It is unfair to assume nothing else than that each such
individual finds the cost worthwhile.

--
bhaagensen