JezA

JezA;510409 Wrote:
> If you spend hundreds of pounds on a Naim s/pdif lead, is it the zeros
> that are more 'zero-ey' or the ones that are more 'one-like'? Do you get
> more 0s with a Naim lead, or more 1s? Do they come in a different order?
> Did they go to a better school? The Naim DAC purports to buffer and
> re-clock the data; it doesn't retrieve the clock-signal from the data
> stream, so surely if the design is any good it should work with any
> vaguely decent lead, unless of course it is susceptible to other kinds
> of intereference, such as RF, which would be a pity in such an expensive
> product.

I am not arguing in favour of using 100's £ on digital cables. I'm
simply saying two things. a) That this (expensive cables) is how things
work in hi-fi everywhere. b) That there is a technical good reason to
support the importance of the quality of the s/pdif cable. I am not
asserting anything on how a) and b) relates to each other. In fact I
tend to agree with your sentiment.

JezA;510409 Wrote:

> "Do it right" at the very least means doing it in such a way that
> s/pdif leads are not part of the solution, for the very reason that, as
> you tell me, they can affect the sound of a (re-buffering re-clocking)
> DAC! If you have a cd transport, s/pdif is  a pretty much unavoidable
> necessity. If your data is on a hard-drive s/pdif is completely
> avoidable, as the Transporter, Squeezebox and Linn DS gear
> demonstrates.
>
> Also, it is unclear how the Naim DAC works. If there are 10 close but
> different clocks which are switched between intermittently  to keep the
> buffer from over or underflowing then that itself is a form of jitter
> and/or imprecision; but if those 10 clocks belong to different sampling
> frequencies (ie 32, 44, 48, 96, 192, etc) then the buffer must over or
> underflow at some point. If the buffer was just kept topped up over the
> network such issues would not arise - why pick a clock which 'nearly'
> matches the one in the s/pdif signal when the correct frequency is in
> the file header!???!

Its not unclear to me, but apparently it is to many. I'm in fact
presently engaged in a discussion at the Naim forum where I'm trying to
explain how the jitter-rejection part of the DAC works*, so although I
would like to comment here I provide a link to that discussion as to
avoid writing the same twice. There is of course also the whitepaper
which says it all.

http://forums.naim-audio.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8772903417/m/8602935827

Though as an answer to your final question I can say that one clue is
to consider the relationship between jitter and data-rate. The frequncy
is not in the "file-header" of anything received by the DAC. I don't
know what a "file-header" in S/PDIF is. The clock is encoded in the
data-stream. The 10 clocks are inteded to (approximately) match, *not*
various  audio-frequncies such as 44.1, 48, 88, etc, but rather some
interval around any fixed one of those, say 44.1.

--
bhaagensen