bhaagensen;510421 Wrote:

> The frequncy is not in the "file-header" of anything received by the
> DAC. I don't know what a "file-header" in S/PDIF is. The clock is
> encoded in the data-stream. The 10 clocks are inteded to (approximately)
> match, *not* various  audio-frequncies such as 44.1, 48, 88, etc, but
> rather some interval around any fixed one of those, say 44.1.

3 points.

1. I am talking about data on a hard-drive. The correct frequency is in
the file header - just right click the Properties of an audio file if
you don't believe me. The frequency only needs to get encoded in the
s/pdif data stream if you choose to transmit the data via s/pdif.

2. If all the 10 clocks mentioned in then NAIM white paper are for,
say, 44.1K, what clocks are used for 96, 192 etc?

3. If all the 10 clocks are for, say, 44.1 Khz then at least 9 of them
will be the wrong frequency, albeit by a small amount. An "approximate
match" as you call it can hardly be called hifi. If the DAC switches
between them to keep the buffer from over or underflowing then that is
low frequency jitter.

--
JezA