Borrow a Transporter from a dealer and try it.  I was very impressed and
am very happy I purchased one.  You might be as well.  You can always
purchase a duet controller if you want a fancy interface on your remote
(or use an iPod Touch).  I thought about using a Duet Receiver and an
outboard DAC and chose the Transporter.  I realize that part of that
decision was around the fact that the Receiver cannot pass 96/24, but
still, the DAC in the Transporter is excellent and you don't have to
worry about running the signal to another box.  The analogue outs are
excellent (I use the balanced).  Unless you really want the interface on
the Touch, I recommend the Transporter.

--
Celeritas