seanadams;514131 Wrote:
> Really? At 128K I can do that easily, even on a crap system. Try
> focusing on the drums, cymbals, and audience clapping in a live concert
> recording. The attack is muddy and you will sometimes also hear little
> squeaky artifacts. AAC, by the way, tries to address this limitation
> with the addition of a feature called "temporal/perceptual noise
> shaping".
>
> I guess you do have to know what to listen for. Most people probably
> focus on the tone and timbre in the foreground which is where mp3 has
> the least difficulty.

Good point. When I focus on these things (as you point out) I can
sometimes pinpoint the mp3 files (my OLD ears can't hear the highs that
well anymore...front row for The Who, and Led Zepp in the early 70s did
me in on top of normal age related hearing issues).

To be fair, I should note that my comment was not related to a clear
ABX purposeful test with my friends. Rather, I'd play a few very
familiar albums while sitting around chatting. All the while using my
ipeng surreptitiously to switch around between FLAC and mp3 versions (or
sometimes playing one of the albums from CD (all equipment is in
separate room from listening room).  These guys will tell you if asked
that they can IMMEDIATELY detect an mp3 of any bit rate and can't stand
to listen to mp3 files, etc. etc. After an hour and a half of listening,
I'll ask whether they thought I snuck in any mp3 files tonight and
they'll tell me that without question, they never heard anything from an
mp3 the entire night because "it all sounded too good, and I would have
certainly noticed!"

--
garym