I would imagine very few people in this forum are going to recommend a
tower to someone looking in the $1000 range for loudspeakers.  The best
values on that end of the market (and the market in general) are 2 way
monitors.  If you're going with the towers because the aesthetics of
stands don't work for you, your options are more limited.  If you're
going with the towers to get greater LF extension, then a 2 way
mini-monitor with a modest subwoofer gives you more flexibility.
Brands like PSB, Paradigm, Dynaudio, NHT, B&W all offer great values in
the $1000 range.  All of these brands are relatively easy to find and
would represent a significant step up for you.

The Peachtree looks very like a great option.  I've been thinking about
picking one up to to pair with some Paradigm Studio 10s or Dynaudio X12s
to reduce the bulk of my present system a bit.

--
esbrewer

Server:  2.4GHz Intel iMac running Mac OS 10.6.2, SBS 7.4.2, Inguz DRC
Sources: SB3 (2), SB Boom, NAD C542, NAD T515
Amplification: NAD C720BEE
Loudspeakers:  Paradigm Studio 20 (v.1), SVS SB-12 Plus
Headphones:  Grado SR60, Etymotic ER4P

http://www.last.fm/user/esbrewer