azaz44;573819 Wrote:
> I'm no master in electronics...
>
> And I know the impedance could make a problem with sound, but I cannot
> imagine how the EC can complain or measure anything, if there's no
> signal coming. This means it's just 0V between signal and ground on
> both inputs, thus no current.
>
> As for the numbers, it seems the SB3 output impedance is 220 Ohms,
> which I found here:
>
> http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=23435.0
>
> by comparison, my CD player (NAD C541i) has 200 Ohms, EC pre (which I
> don't own) has 100 Ohms.
>
> But as it comes to CD, I just found I actually didn't connect it
> directly, I always used a pre. The CD doesn't have any volume control.
> So I don't know, if this 200 Ohms are OK.
>

> Can the passive preamp (no power connected) make the impedance lower?
> as I imagine, it cannot, can keep the same when the volume is set to
> maximum, or make it even worse in other cases. But I'm no master in
> electronics as I wrote...
>
> I just checked the output impedance of the active pre which works fine.
> This is Rotel RA-02, which is a budget integra actually, but can be used
> as pre-amp as well. The output voltage/impedance of the pre outs is:
> 1V/470 Ohms. So actually over two times worse than SB3 - and still
> works with EC.
>

> It seems I will have time to test shorting plugs soonest tomorrow. If
> it doesn't work, it's maybe a good idea to contact Electrocompaniet,
> maybe they know the answer, or at least what the amp is checking for.
>
> As for safety, I know about the problem.

It's very simple for the EC to measure what  - if anything - is
connected to its input.

The Rotel works and its impedance is 470 ohms which is low.
Can you try the CD player directly into the EC? - that would prove or
disprove my theory.

I think the EC needs a low-ish impedance across its inputs to un-mute.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.