magiccarpetride;582612 Wrote:
> To me, room treatment is analogous to messing with various curtains.
> Some curtains will make the room more shady, some will make it more
> bright etc. But essentially all the objects in the room still remain
> visible. It is just the matter of personal preference that dictates how
> bright or soft a lighting you prefer.
The important thing is that the room _interacts_ with the music and
changes the characteristics of the music on the route from your
speakers to your ears. If you have crappy sound coming out of the
speakers then room treatment can't cure that, but a crappy room or poor
speaker placement can seriously degrade the quality of the sound before
it gets to your ears. And in that case you can keep upgrading your
equipment until the cows come home (to provide milk for the cheese, of
course) and it won't do any good until you fix the room.

Or to use your analogy, imagine those objects in the room are fine
paintings. How much you see in them depends very much on the quality of
the light in the room, which is dictated in part by the curtains. If the
curtains are too dark (or too light) then you can't enjoy the paintings
as much, even though the paintings are still the same objects in the
room.

--
aubuti