magiccarpetride;582550 Wrote:
> I don't think that all sound engineers consider differences between DACs
> to be irrelevant details. There are engineers out there with a pretty
> decent balance between their right and their left brain hemispheres,
> and these are the people who bless us with good products.
>
> It is the overtly cerebral types who are ham-fisted and only appreciate
> the crude, crass factors (such as the room treatment, for example).
>
> There are many subtleties to be had in the world of sound reproduction.
> If I may use one more analogy here (I am aware that my quota for
> analogies has been spent long time ago): it's like consuming varieties
> of fine wine. There are infinite nuances and slight differences in how
> different types of wine, made from different harvests from different
> regions, taste. An earnest scientist/engineer cannot measure even the
> first 1% of those nuances.
>

> Yes, same as when dying of thirst in a sun scorched desert, even a
> glass of luke warm, muddy water can taste magical, life saving. But why
> would I willingly go for such extreme conditions, when I'm blessed with
> optimal conditions for enjoying music right now?
I'm not sure why you think room treatment is "crass", since IME it is
the single biggest improvement you can make, once you have a basic
system that works well... care to expand?

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.