Phil Leigh;582836 Wrote:
> In recording studios and mastering suites where decisions are made about
> how recordings will sound when we buy them, more money is spent on
> acoustic treatments than is spent on the technical equipment. This is
> because it is (generally) done once and HAS to be right.
>
> What we listen to at home is a "replay system" comprised of the
> speakers and the room. The two act together. You cannot seperate them.
> The behaviour of speakers is determined by the room they sit in. You
> cannot just hear the speakers. The closest you can get is to use
> nearfield monitors to try and isolate the direct sound from the room
> reflected sound...but no mastering engineer would relay on those alone,
> because they are atypical of the sound consumer will experience in
> domestic environments. The room has a MASSIVE impact on the sound. Even
> the best speakers in the world (?) are not immune from the interaction
> with the room - it really is simple physics. Humans are
> designed/evolved on purpose to recognise and respond to reflected
> sounds and ambient spatial clues from those reflections.
>

> Room correction (I prefer DRC as it gives benefits such as time/phase
> alignment that bass traps etc don't even touch) makes the biggest
> difference to making the music sound "good" for me - once you get past
> some arbitary level of basic competency in the source/DAC/Amp/Speakers.
>
> I've heard a £120k system sound like cr*p in a bad (untreated) room and
> a £1k system sound superb with £2.5k of DRC inserted in it.
>
> YMMV of course. Just giving an alternate perspective.

No argument here. As a matter of fact, I grew up with this bit of
common wisdom. And, of course, I've experimented with speaker
placement/room treatment like crazy. So I am aware of the very audible
differences one can generate when messing with the room and the speaker
placement.

Where I tend to part ways with the commonly accepted wisdom is the bit
that states that speaker placement etc. is where one stands to
gain/lose the most. In my experience, I was always able to gain more
improvements by carefully upgrading my audio chain, then I was able to
get by rearranging my speaker positions.

--
magiccarpetride