Thanks for that comments, Mnyb's!

Mnyb;602719 Wrote:
> If you have a DAC thats indicates icomming sample and bitrate.
>
> it's quite easy to see that you indeed get 24/96 .

Well, unfortunately mine doesn't.

> Also with the right logging turned on the server settings you see in
> the server wich transcoding parameters that where choosen for the
> transcoding.

Hm... I'm honestly not so much into that, so I don't know if I will be
able to figure out, how to decrypt a log file, and with what settings I
will have the right data logged.

> it has also been tested to death before, this Q pops up every odd week
> since forever since SOX transcoding where introduced. They should
> really change this bitrate indicators to be more correct.

how right

> But it's given low or no priority as the performance is not affected
> only the piece of mind of audiophiles ;) It's a cosmetic bug .

right too. Just asked myself if I am an audiophile... as I actually
don't consider myself as one. Some definition I found says: "Quite
often, audiophiles are as passionate about the equipment they use as
the music they listen to." For my part, that's not true, fortunately, I
don't care about the gear, as long as I feel as near to the live music
as possible inside my living room... and of course, I don't want to buy
expensive hi-res files from hdtracks, to have them down sampled after...
so that's why I wish to have certainty.

> Not really it is a bug that hit the forum as we have a tread about it
> every week :-/
>
> My suggestion has always been that this indication is not really
> needed, just say "transcoded" or similar. Normal users wont care,
> audiophiles get upset with the current bug, and the OCD's among us can
> always use the logg functions to verify our settings ;) yes I have done
> that... and peekat at what my DAC is reporting 96k 88.2k 44.1k or 48k.
>
> "
> -Now, it is generally accepted that converting FLAC-Files on the Server
> (and not on the touch) delivers better sound quality (like suggested e.
> g. on http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...x-Touch-Review  )-
> "
>
> No it's not generaly aceppted that it is soo, maybe by some audiophile
> fringe, but it has no basis in reality or science.

Science has not measured what comes out of the speakers, comparing both
settings, I guess... As for "reality", I did the comparison, measuring
with my ears. I am not a physician, but a musician and with ears quite
a bit trained... And I am obviously not the only one that came to the
result that there IS a difference.

> Same audiphile's places rocks on their components, and spray their
> cables with mystical iontments from nordost ?

If you were a sportsman, would you accept if someone tells you not to
do sports, because other sportsmen use t-shirts with weird colors on
their bicycles ...?

> If one hear a night and day diff it usually down to use of replay gain
> tags and volume adjustment setting (many have such tags and the funtion
> is sometimes on) not realising that the overall volume will be roughly
> 10dB lower, just turn of volume adjustment and they are the same. As
> the transcoded stream does not cary these tags replay gain will not be
> used with WAV so it will ofcourse be a staggering diff as wav is much
> louder.
> With all volume adjustment settings off it should be the same.

Of course volume settings are off. Thats why we odd audiophiles use
preamps ;-). And well, "should" be the same is the physicians answer,
the musician will tell you: listen...
Back to the technicians logic (just trying ;-) ): You might have
observed that sound quality on the Touch degrades when it handles high
processor load. For instance, to test: Connect a USB hard disk with a
couple of thousands of flac files on it to the touch, play a file, and
then, open the music directory on the touch's display... your music
quality will degrade very obviously while the internal server crawls
through the files. So why should a higher processor load for decoding
flacs not have a influence, too? The difference might be small, but if
you really pay attention to that, audible. Question of preference more
than question of science...

> Bit perfectness can be tested with a DTS track encapsulated in normal
> stereo wav or flac , if one bit is off your HT processor will only
> output white noise.
> You can test he whole chain, burn such track on a cd and rip it with
> your normal settings and it easy to see if something is changing the
> bitstream somewhere from CD ripper to tags or sbs settings or other
> things.
> DTS will only work with the volume at 100% btw as the digital volume
> also shiftsd the bits, so the "dts bit" will be off and the processor
> confused.
Would probably be a nice test to do... however, I might not have
understood 100%, but would that prove that the server dos no down
sampling on high res files...? I mean, the resulting CD rip file would
be 16 bit 44.1 khz stereo - and nobody claims that these are down
sampled...

--
diego