Hofstede;615153 Wrote:
> You ARE kidding are you?
> Maybe ask Steve Jobs. He will tell you that a Mac based server sounds
> even better ........ :)

No I'm not kidding. OSX I'd rather expect to be as "performant" as
Linux.

The way I see it - Once more.

All processes on the Touch share the same processor/ram etc.
All units share the same physical environment and power supplies.
The ethernet streaming processes require a pretty decent priority
to avoid facing XRUNS sooner or later. There is a lot of interface
management associated to ethernet resp. TCP/IP. And that handling I
suspect
to be in charge for those slight differences in soundquality we're
experiencing.

There is a pretty large buffer - 15s ( or similar)  - on the ethernet
side of the Touch. On the first glance the ethernet shouldn't make any

problems. Man -- it's a huge buffer.

The issue with this is the continous "refill" and "management" of that
buffer.
15 seconds (buffer lenght)  prior to the end of the song the load of
that streaming process is gone. So. from a processing load perspective
it doesn't matter if you have a large or a small buffer on that
ethernet buffer. The non-linear ethernet load remains constant.
Hmmh. That reminds me. I havn't tried to lower that ethernet buffer
size.
I should try that. ;) (Anybody around who knows where to set the
ethernet buffer size parameter?)

And those guys who recommended to listen to the last 15s of a track or
just just to unplug the cable, could be right about those better
sounding 15s buffer music.

I'm pretty sure (I've done it on my own Linux based network client)
that if you store the full file on the client the network impact would
have been eliminated.

The IMO 2nd best solution is to avoid continous streaming.
Instead you copy large chunks at once to avoid that continous
streaming.

I got an idea. I'll let you know if it works...

--
soundcheck

'soundcheck's Touch Toolbox 2.0'
(http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-squeezebox-touch-toolbox-20.html)