I'm generally not swayed by the the myth of constant progress ( I had
until a recent accident 18 year old speakers ).
Pile up 20 years of audimags single out a manufacturer eg yamaha or
luxman or something else look at the slightly different names the give
their key technology and watch how the design slowly changes buttons
swap places etc but the product remains very similar ?

But in digital audio it has some truth in it, 20+ year old stuff wont
cut it :-/

Almost anything half decent with modern chips is both cheap and
outperforms, much of yesteryears digital top of the line .

Used digital stuff imho not something made before 2000 (some one might
find an exception to browbeat me with )

Unless a special kind of house sound is much favored, then there are
some anachronistic stuff some people prefer.

And as a transport only thing ? Select the DAC first it makes the sound
try for youself with different tranports .

Also I'm always very skeptical to peoples claims about ginormous sq
differences in digital transports .
But a case where it actually can come true is with an very old DAC back
when they did not now what we know now. Many older designs have not much
of any dejitter capacity or what you want to call it "resilience against
not so perfect transports" and are especially fragile .

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad