Phil Leigh;615791 Wrote:
> It's no assumption, it is fact - the circuit is different and better.
> The way the s/pdif is formed and sent is cleaner.
>
> I'm not sure why you keep asking subtle variations on the same
> question?
> It's almost as if you'd prefer it if there was no difference...

I guess Phil, because i am trying to weigh up what direction to go in.
My aim in a sense is for a hi-end sound without spending hi-end money -
so I started along the lines of using an SB as source. I managed to get
a Duet for just £150 to experiment with, and as far as I can tell, it
sounds as good as all the CD players i own (as a transport only) -
which is pretty good!

My goal is to get the best possible transport to use and experiment
with older second hand good quality DACs like DPA. I currently own a
DPA little bit 3 DAC and intend to get it upgraded by Chevron Audio -
then of course couple this with a great transport to get the most out
of them.

The SB has a great UI but I don't need the radio feature nor am I
chasing a 24 bit sound - I just want to rip my current CD collection
and play the WAV or FLAC files. One possible extremely good source is
the Chevron Audio modified QA550 - yes the UI is non-existent - but I
bet the transport is as good as it gets and for me, my priority is
hi-end sound (even though I love the great UI you get with the SB).

My other thought is to buy something like a Dell 1018 netbook as a
great transport which has no internal fans and can run off the battery
(no wall wart worries) - coupled to an MF V-Link for async USB to spdif
conversion - into the DPA (or other old by good designs I find along the
way - not many DACs have async USB).

Instead of the Dell netbook, using the USB out of a SB Touch would have
been 'great' and my hopes were somewhat pinned on this to use with the
MF V-Link because you do not need proprietary USB drivers - but I am
not confident the Touch is up to the job yet.

Even learning about small things such as optical or coax - or true 75
ohm BNC connections from the likes of Black Cat all add up.

So, yes, I am chasing that hi-end transport sound on the cheap (if
possible) - but prepared to sacrifice some usability (aka QA550) if it
gets me there.

--
stop-spinning