soundcheck;626354 Wrote:
> It's not that I want to retain 16 bit. If it is possible to set the
> the sox output stream to 24bit I'm gonna do that.
>
> Dither I wouldn't use if 24 bit output  works. The guy who started
> the thread had no bit-depth change in the commandline btw.
> That's why I brought the issue up.
>
> That the Touch transforms anything to 24bit later on is a different
> subject.
>
> What about "there is no truth...". Anything out there proving your
> statement.
> Or do I have to do some listening tests.
>
> Cheers

The "multiples" issue is an old urban myth.

When upsampling first became popular, it was done in basic hardware and
only done in multiples, using simple doubling of samples.

Later, advanced DSP and ASRC chips were used and proper algorithms were
developed. These convert anything to anything and do so very accurately
- like SOX (but embedded in hardware).

However, for some reason I can't explain, many people still cling to
the "multiples are good" myth.

If you don't believe me (or Wombat) you should just listen (of course,
you should do that anyway!)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.