ralphpnj;638249 Wrote:
> While I don't question the truth of your statement regarding audiophiles
> and streamed vs. CD playback I do wonder how much their belief in the
> superiority of CD playback is based on the brand names of the devices
> being tested. In other words, would a digital audio file being streamed
> via a $20,000 Linn Klimax DS still be inferior to a CD transport? From
> an audiophile standpoint a $10,000 CD transport or player HAS to "sound
> better" than a $300 SB Touch, even if there is absolutely no difference.
> For an example of what I mean check out the Stereophile review of the
> Brston BDP-1 where no meaningful comparisons were made with/to any
> other digital streaming devices, including the lowly $300 SBT.
>
> http://forum.stereophile.com/content/bryston-bdp-1-digital-audio-player
>
> After you've read through that almost useless review check out the
> comments posted on the Stereophile forum. On that forum my user name is
> "jazzfan".
>
> http://forum.stereophile.com/content/brystin-bdp-1-review
Sorry I am a bit behind here. I noticed from that thread that JA said
the following -not really anything to the point about your comments on
the Bryston thingie, but very relevant to the OP here

"And with respect to all the request for comparisons and sound quality,
it is a _digital_ source. The only relevant questions are 1) are the
bits it outputs the same as those in the file? ...... And is that
datastream of sufficiently low jitter not to degrade the output of the
DAC to which it is connected?"
I personally have a soft spot for John Atkinson and his measurement
sections. I fear he must be a lonely voice amongst the mystics and
dipsticks who write for Stereophile (actually I like KR and JM and one
or two others) .

--
adamdea