garym;638342 Wrote:
> FLAC files are 50% to 60% of the WAV file. So you cut the space needs in
> half. Most think you should use the 5 level of "compression" with FLAC
> (or lower). This is because there are *some* decoders that struggle
> more with decoding the maximum compression (8), and there is not much
> real space saving going from 5 to 8. It may be fixed now, but some SB
> users reported problems with 24/96 FLAC files when they were encoded at
> 8 but no issues when encoded at 5.
>
> I've never had any issues with 16/44.1 FLAC files encoded at 8, but
> I've since started ripping everything at "5" anyhow.

All my FLAC files are encoded @level 8.
I've done some tests with encoding at all levels to compare
encoding/decoding results.

Conclusion is that level 8 encoding does save some space, but savings
are relatively small (few megabytes).
Decoding of level 8 FLAC files may take more CPU power but difference
is very small (few %).
For hi-res PCM data compression ratio is not so good as it is with
16/44.1 files.

That's why I decided to go for level 8 encoding for all my FLAC files
because it will save some space and costs are next to nothing.

So far haven't had any problems while decoding level 8 FLAC files on my
SB Duet or other players.

--
Bytec