Phil Leigh;639262 Wrote:
> There's NOTHING crazy about having 3,000 CD's. There's plenty crazy
> about a $1,000 mains cord...

My take on the power cord issue is that power cords CAN make a
difference in sound, some times fairly significant changes, but it
doesn't take thousands of dollars to do it well. People selling $1000
cords may very well have a cord which sounds better than many other
cords, but thats probably NOT caused by whatever cost the $1000 but by
some coincidental factor.

The issue here is that what makes a cord sound good is not well
understood, there are many theories out there as to what is happening.
What usually  happens is that someone came up with a hypothesis along
the lines of "super high purity metal might be a factor", so they build
a cord with very high purity metal, and low and behold it DOES sound
better. Well if that sounded better then ultra super high purity metal
should sound even better, right? But in reality the improvement in the
original had nothing to do with the metal but was caused by the
particular insullation used which was required to maintain the metal
purity during manufacfture. If that same insullation was used with
lesser purity metal you would get similar sound improvements for a lot
less money, but nobody makes such a combination because the slightly
more expensive insullation is only used with the high purity metal,
thus nobody actually tries that insullation with cheaper metal.

This sort of thing is rampant in the industry. Someone comes up with
something that does improve sound, then goes crazy and spends a huge
amount of money getting that one paramter to its absolute pinicale of
perfection, not realizing that the original improvement was caused by
something else!

Do I buy $1000 cords? No way, I build my own cords. The most expensive
one I have made is about $35. My power cords do sound different from
each other, I'm exploring different geometries, insullations, shielding
etc using relatively inexpensive materials. And its not just listening,
I can actually measure differences caused by the different cords. One
interesting finding from this is that different gear sounds better
with different cords, that REALLY complicates things!

There is still a lot more work to come up with decent correlations as
to what cord type sounds best with what equipment. Even if I did have
good correlations it wouldn't do any good unless you make your own,
since most manufacturers won't aqctually tell you how their cords are
made and exactly what materials are used.

The best advice I can give right now given the state of the market
place is to buy several different inexpensive cords from different
manufacturers and try them out on different equipment in your system.
If it doesn't make any difference you are not out a lot of money. On
the other hand you just might find a combination that DOES improve the
sound of your system.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson