TiredLegs;640526 Wrote:
> I'd love to see someone do a true ABX test of a $200 USB cable vs a
> cheapo $5 one.

I'd be glad to do one, just send me the $200 cable! How about a Touch
driving a HRT Streamer II, this can sound very good so differences in
cables will not be swamped by other issues.

Also please precisely define the protocol, every time I've tried to do
something like this someone picks apart the protocol, so its best to
have an  agreed upon protocol in advance.

My take on this is that cables DO make a difference, but price has very
little to do with it, a $20 cable may outperform a $200, or it may not.

The level of these differences is not huge and can be easily swamped by
other issues, so its important to use a system where those "other
issues" are taken care of first.

Of course this depends on what you are trying to determine with the
test. Are you trying to determine if its possible to hear a difference
between a $5 cable and a $200 AT ALL or or you trying to determine if
there is a difference between a $5 and a $200 cable "for most systems".
There is a significant difference here. For example the above mentioned
HRT streamer II sounds pretty bad hooked up to my laptop, but with the
right tweaks on a Touch sounds fantastic. Connected to the laptop
different cables make no difference at all, the changes they cause are
much lower than the "badness" caused by the laptop. But on the Touch
setup the overall quality is good enough that differences caused by
cables can be heard.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson