terjehaa;667294 Wrote:
> @magiccarpetride:
> How much work is it to revert to your modded TT 2.0 if it turns out TT
> 3.0 is not to your liking? 20 mins?

Amazing! I love when I get proven totally wrong in this fashion.

So you're right, I finally got off my butt earlier this evening, did a
factory reset, upgraded firmware to 7.7.0, and then modified all the
settings on my Touch and on the squeezebox server, as per Soundcheck's
instructions, and then installed TT3.0. I also applied his vollock, and
finally killed deamon jobs (tt -k).

Set down for a critical listen and... wow! (insert your favorite
audiophile hyperbole here)

The first song I listened to was "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" by
Temptations. Right off the bat, I was blown away by the visceral
physicality of the opening bass lick. And then the Pandora's box opened
up -- the heavenly sounds of the strings and the never before heard
detailed and intricate cascades by the harp. Meanwhile, two funky
guitars with amazingly clear textures were barking from the left and
the right channel, respectively. So many previously unheard details now
emerged in crystal clarity.

And when the backing vocals kicked in ("wherever he laid his hat was
his home...") I yelled in joy! Such realism, such musicality! These
singers are standing right there, in my right speaker, living,
breathing.

This mod is amazing, because it accomplishes the impossible: it
presents the sound that is at the same time both in-your-face and laid
back. Impossible!

I have a SHM-CD by Sade (refurbished, repackaged Japanese remaster of
"Diamond Life"), which offers amazing clarity and details. Still, I
found the overall remaster to be on a bit of a harsh side with TT2.0.
Now with TT3.0, any traces of harshness have disappeared, although the
very aggressive over-the-top pushy sound became even more prominent.
Only this time it's completely relaxed, unhurried, not nervous, and
(dare I say it?) analog-like.

I am now at a loss when I read people complaining how TT3.0 sounds
thin, digital, with leaner bass, etc. Quite the reverse, it now sounds
(on my system, at least), so much fuller, rounder, silkier, milky and
with unprecedented presence. Overall, as we keep moving from one
favorite song to another, my wife and I are consistently commenting on
how much more realistic, musical, fuller and deeper the bass now
sounds. Gone is all the boomines and messiness, and the only thing left
in the deeper regions is music driven by a very tight, taut and nimble
bass.

To me, the silkiness of the cymbals is just one thing among many that
is totally worthy of the price of admission. Plus, so many more
previously undetected details. Even during the loudest passages in
Thomas Dolby's "I Scare Myself", I can now easily follow every tiny
little strum on the acoustic guitar. I can plainly hear the plectrum
cascading down the steel strings even during the very loud piano and
trombone solos. Amazing!

Thank you a million times, Klaus!

--
magiccarpetride