magiccarpetride;668773 Wrote:
> I think I'm beginning to understand some people who were complaining
> about similar symptoms that Mr Bellow described above. Let me relate my
> experience:
>
> I've set some time aside last night for some more critical listening of
> the TT3.0. Turned off all but the essential house appliances, dimmed the
> lights, sat down right smack middle in the sweet spot, and focused on
> listening to "Guajira" off Santana's 3rd album (this song has been in
> the constant rotation in my house ever since I was 15, so I know, by
> heart, every little cough, scratch and squeak recorded in there;)
>
> With TT3.0 mods fully on (including the somewhat controversial tt -k
> mod), this song now sounds COMPLETELY different! It's almost like a
> brand new, never before heard rendition of this famous song. It is a
> small wonder, then, that some people get very confused after
> experiencing this cognitive dissonance (i.e. being able to hardly
> recognize a song they've been listening to for many moons).
>
> The 'sound is now much more digital' remark is interesting, because I
> think it may be coming from a reference point of someone who hasn't had
> a chance to hear how a really good analog setup sounds. What I'm trying
> to say is that TT3.0 now offers sound experience that is getting
> freakishly close to the sound quality one gets from a multi thousands
> of dollars turntable rig (and by multi thousand dollars, I'm implying
> five figure setup, which I was fortunate enough to hear at a friend's
> house).
>
> Up until the day we've received TT3.0 from Klaus, it was quite easy to
> distinguish that we're listening to a digital source; now, it gets to
> be a bit more challenging, as the sound is now approaching the
> sweetness one gets when playing good vinyl pressing on Thorens 124
> equipped with a good moving coil cartridge and an excellently
> calibrated high end arm (plus a multi-thousand dollars phono preamp).
>
> Back to Santana and "Guajira": using the full blown TT3.0 mods, listen
> to the tone of Santana's guitar on that song -- pure sweetness. You
> cannot get that tone quality from TT2.0, period. I've heard that same
> sweetness only on a good vinyl pressing of the same album played on
> Thorens 124. When I play the same song on my dinky Dual turntable, the
> sweetness is nowhere to be heard. So you do need a high end analog gear
> if you are to hear what's really embedded inside the grooves.
>
> Conclusion: the pre-TT3.0 tone of Santana's guitar is a bit scratchy in
> comparison (I made the comparison last night, iPad on my knee). With
> TT3.0 on, the guitar tone flows like the finest wine, pours over like
> thick, amber honey as it drips off the spoon. It's to die for:)
>
> The 'little radio' remark: I'm using the big Magnepan speakers
> (Maggies), in a fairly large room with high ceilings, so I cannot
> really relate to this (everything sounds big on my speakers). What is
> [...]

Soundcheck is right : is really a pleasure read what you write. I can
feel yr passion for music. About yr observations I can say only one
thing : the secret is to run TT3.0 with all the options enabled (even
vollock and kill the daemons). In the first days , since I use a NAS
and don't have an iPod/iPad I was forced to turn the display on and the
infrared receiver on.In the next days I tried the full TT3.0 package and
the sound became more natural and balanced. Now I have an 8 Gb ipod
Touch (is sold for 199 euros) to control the SBT and , at the moment ,
I'm really happy with TT3.0.
In my opinion the sound is born analog : when you listen to live music
you perceive the highs (cymbals etc.) and the basses in a natural way
without forcing ; my first approach to TT3.0 was not natural (i used
the word "digital" to describe a detailed , defined but innatural sound
( I mean NOT real)). Probably this is even caused by my system (mainly a
Naim system ) which emphasize the good and the bad.
The difficult part in high end systems is to obtain a natural sound
from a digital source : usually I recognize the achievement of that
goal when the speakers disappear and you're surrounded by the sound
(even with a stereo system - which is in my opinion the only way to
listen to high end reproduction at the moment) and you can almost "see"
the players positions on the stage. Now I'm really near to that goal not
only with vinyl but even with my TT3.0 SBT.

--
Mr Bellow