Hi Phil.

Thx for repeating what's been said and written several times. ;)

It's all about noise and interferences and EMI/RFI and poor grounding
and poor shielding and poluted power lines and and and....

Your recommendation about avoiding CAT6 doesn't have a basis. The
cables are 100% compatible. And these better cables do have a very
positve impact on the pysical side.
Shorter cables and signal refreshing at a shorter distance towards the
client will obviously also have a positive impact.

Let me quote from here: http://www.broadbandutopia.com/caandcaco.html

> Why do I need all the bandwidth of category 6? As far as I know, there
> is no application today that requires 200 MHz of bandwidth.
>
> Bandwidth precedes data rates just as highways come before traffic.
> Doubling the bandwidth is like adding twice the number of lanes on a
> highway. The trends of the past and the predictions for the future
> indicate that data rates have been doubling every 18 months. Current
> applications running at 1 Gb/s are really pushing the limits of
> category 5e cabling. As streaming media applications such as video and
> multi-media become commonplace, the demands for faster data rates will
> increase and spawn new applications that will benefit from the higher
> bandwidth offered by category 6. This is exactly what happened in the
> early 90’s when the higher bandwidth of category 5 cabling compared to
> category 3 caused most LAN applications to choose the better media to
> allow simpler, cost effective, higher speed LAN applications, such as
> 100BASE-TX. Note: Bandwidth is defined as the highest frequency up to
> which positive power sum ACR (Attenuation to Crosstalk Ratio) is
> greater than zero.
>
> What is the general difference between category 5e and category 6?
>
> The general difference between category 5e and category 6 is in the
> transmission performance, and extension of the available bandwidth from
> 100 MHz for category 5e to 200 MHz for category 6. This includes better
> insertion loss, near end crosstalk (NEXT), return loss, and equal level
> far end crosstalk (ELFEXT). These improvements provide a higher
> signal-to-noise ratio, allowing higher reliability for current
> applications and higher data rates for future applications.
>
> Will category 6 supersede category 5e?
>
> Yes, analyst predictions and independent polls indicate that 80 to 90
> percent of all new installations will be cabled with category 6. The
> fact that category 6 link and channel requirements are backward
> compatible to category 5e makes it very easy for customers to choose
> category 6 and supersede category 5e in their networks. Applications
> that worked over category 5e will work over category 6.
>
> What does category 6 do for my current network vs. category 5e?
>
> Because of its improved transmission performance and superior immunity
> from external noise, systems operating over category 6 cabling will
> have fewer errors vs. category 5e for current applications. This means
> fewer re-transmissions of lost or corrupted data packets under certain
> conditions, which translates into higher reliability for category 6
> networks compared to category 5e networks.
>
> When should I recommend or install category 6 vs. category 5e?
>
> From a future proofing perspective, it is always better to install the
> best cabling available. This is because it is so difficult to replace
> cabling inside walls, in ducts under floors and other difficult places
> to access. The rationale is that cabling will last at least 10 years
> [...]

If I had to choose I'd go for a better cable. We're talking about
peanuts here.

Cheers

P.S: The fiber solution could in fact be an interesting alternative.

--
soundcheck

::: ' Touch Toolbox 3.0 and more' (http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com)
:::  by soundcheck