I like most of the things you have done in TT3.0, and it makes the
system sound better.  In my testing, I ran into some issues that may or
may not be issues for other folks.

First, fresh reset, install TT3.0-LAN, take all the defaults with two
exceptions - only  use digital output and I turn the display on.  I
only use digital output over Coax to the DAC, and we like to see the
clock on the display. Also, turning off the display has no detectable
effect here.

Second, our default DAC is a Wavelength Proton, which just won't work
with the Touch, so one of our goals is to get an S/PDIF DAC to sound as
close to the Proton as possible. Sometimes, that just isn't very close
at all, so we settle for enjoyable, detailed, but laid back sound, or
as much of it as we can drag out of a different DAC.

So for this testing, the setup is Touch -> AudioQuest VDM-X -> Emotiva
XDA-1 (Coax) -> AudioQuest Sidewinders -> NAD T747 7.1 Audio Inputs
(bypass) -> Nordost Flatline MK II -> Maggie 1.7s.

For testing, we have also ran this through a NAD M2, and a Rega DAC, a
Bryston DAC, and a few others.

Overall, the sound with the TT3.0 mods installed is much smoother. The
soundstage is imaged more precisely, but with reduced depth, and with
reduced vertical cues. By that, I mean, it is harder to tell if one
instrument or performer is behind or in front of another, and it is
more difficult to tell if one or more players are on a raised platform.
Of course, that is all dependent upon the recording too, so we used
recording very familiar and well known to us for the evals. The
comparison was against the same tracks playing from a Macbook running
Amarra, and feeding through the Wavelength Proton, with all else the
same.

The reduced depth in the soundstage does give some music a very flat
presentation and puts an avery unflattering emphasis on some
recordings. Note that these are not bad recordings, just recordings
that depend a lot upon the spatial cues in the system to bring them to
life. This seems more of a problem on live recordings than highly
engineered recordings.

The lack of vertical cues is only noticeable when directly compared to
a system that reveals those cues.

With high res recordings, the TT3.0 mods seem to cause vocals to recede
into the background. In a way this is good, because it means the
soundstage depth is restored to a degree. But it is out of balance, and
causes vocals to be difficult to distinguish.

Oh, and following the tuning tips for the Squeezebox server is not safe
if you have hi-res AIFFs in your library. Playing a Hires AIFF can
resulting the DAC loosing lock and a utterly unsettling blast of noise
through your speakers.

That's about it. In general the sound is an improvement over the base
system. I expect that it is tuned to Soundchecks preferences for his
system, and just has an out of balance presentation on our systems.

-Paul

--
paul.raulerson