chill;683635 Wrote:
> If by 'immune' you mean that the bits are correctly interpreted, ie the
> received code is 'bit-perfect', then I agree, but I assumed that the
> jitter affects the clock recovery more than the values of the bits,
> since the clock is based on the timing of the transitions between bits.
> Of course, I understand that most DACs filter the recovered clock at
> the very least, and the better ones will buffer the input and play it
> out using an independent clock, so I can't see how jitter can affect
> the sound of such a DAC - bit-perfect reception and a decoupled clock
> surely 'solve' the source jitter issue.

I absolutely agree. The critical point is that all the dac needs to
"know" is
1) the sample values
2) the sample rate.

Once the dac has received the manchester code bit perfect (which it
will unless there is jitter equal to 1/2 the interval between bits
(think about it) which is several nanoseconds for 16 bit S/PDIF))  then
1 is taken care of.

2) is not a secret for 16/44.1 it is errrrr 44.1kHz. It doesn't matter
what the transport "thinks" it is. All the dac needs is a measn of keep
enough data in biffer and a good clock to time the dac conversion.

--
adamdea