"Everything is possible, but nothing is real", Living Colour, "Type"

HumanMedia;688251 Wrote:
> What is "obvious" is also subjective and may be completely contrary
> depending on which viewpoint you hold.

This might apply to personal opinions and beliefs. The benefit (and for
some folks obviously also the burden) of a domain based on science and
engineering (as audio reproduction) is, that claims can actually be
right or wrong and that there is a huge (and growing) body of agreed
and proven facts.

If I read statements like the one above I wonder how some people can
get along in real life. I assume that you also ...

... expect things (with mass and without flotation) to fall down rather
than to rise to the ceiling or the sky
... expect your car to get slower and not faster when you break
... be sceptical if someone offers you a money investment with 200%
return within one week
... etc pp

Now ask yourself why you do so without having to try everything out
(once more) for yourself?

HumanMedia;688251 Wrote:
> And no one has to prove any claim. Or alternatively differing parties
> have equal responsibility (or no responsibility) for proving or
> disproving anything.

No, of course no one "has to" prove his claims, but he ought to in
order to be taken seriously and if the claim should be of any relevance
for someone else.

"I" don't have to prove that things (with mass and without flotation)
fall to earth (because there is a lot of evidence that this is true and
therefore it is considered obvious) - the one claiming the opposite
certainly has to, though.

A lot of people come here to seek advice and to spend their time and
money wisely to improve their listenting experience. There is a
plethora of potential tweaks (most of them being useless). What about
the "headstand-kiwi-magic" I mentioned here for example:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=686698&postcount=35

Does this qualify as a useful tweak. If not, why not?

Most of us only have an endless amount of time and money to spend and
that's why one should stick with the optimizations that are more likely
to improve the sound than others.

Would you take an obscure substance (or potassium cyanide) just because
someone asserted that it helps against a headache? No, you would ask for
evidence that it does (and that it is not harmful). Why should we reject
this kind of reasoning here? Just because the harm is "only" (massive
amount of) wasted time and money?

Of course anyone is free to post his personal experience, opinions and
beliefs (if they are clearly displayed as such) - but what's the point
then? The tweaks mentiones here (and other similar questionable ones in
other threads) are clearly stated as being (potentially) helpful for
others, too. That's why there should be some evidence provided to
support them (and not only personal assertions).

I am looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers

superbonham

P.S.: Please bare with me if the above is written a bit choppy -
English is a foreign language for me after all.

--
superbonham