darrell;691677 Wrote:
> Are you saying that bits are *not* bits?
>
> Of course, a DAC, by its nature, is as much an analogue as a digital
> device, and I haven't heard anyone in this forum claiming that careful
> design in that area is not important - you just need to look at the
> equipment lists in various peoples' signatures!
>
> But it is another thing entirely when tweakery which might be
> appropriate in the analogue domain is applied wholesale to the digital
> domain. Accurate (bit perfect) transfer of digital signals is very well
> understood. Yes, you can nitpick about noise which may be introduced one
> way or another into the analogue components, but whether it makes the
> slightest difference to the end result is another question, one which
> can only be answered by properly controlled blind listening tests.
>
> The problem is that the advances in DAC technology have almost killed
> the goose that lays the golden egg, as far as the traditional "source
> first" industry is concerned. I have a Naim amplifier, and I love it.
> But it still amuses me that Naim produced a white paper explaining why
> its DAC was effectively indifferent to the digital source feeding it,
> but still market extremely expensive digital source components. Don't
> get me wrong - if I had unlimited resources, I'd probably buy a
> complete Naim setup, but I wouldn't kid myself that my motivation was
> the sound quality.

You have hit on an interesting conundrum there: DACs, increasingly, are
designed to be less susceptible to all the junk produced by the
transport: yet they advertise their better transports! Without detailed
knowledge, the knee-jerk reaction is to leap to the conclusion that the
claim made for the DAC is the truth, and the transport is the snake
oil.

The reality is more complicated: in truth, you cannot make a DAC that
is entirely immune to its input. G.I.G.O. But it's important to market
the DAC in such a way that emphasises EFFORTS to aim TOWARD this goal.
Unfortunately, some PR departments get a bit carried away in this
regard, and many buyers fail to scrutinise the claims - or read between
the lines - with sufficient rigour. Which makes claims made about the
'dedicated' transport hard to believe. The bottom line of course is
that a better transport will sound better. How could it not?

--
item_audio