darrell;691902 Wrote:
> Indeed! Rereading item_audio's posts in the light of the above is
> instructive. He is casting doubt on the Touch's abilities as a digital
> audio streamer, compared to alternatives which can cost upwards of 10
> times more than the Touch, and which he happens to sell.
>
> Fair enough, if item_audio (or anyone else) wants to point to concrete
> ways in which the Touch is deficient. But instead, we get pure FUD:
> "it's all very complicated, no-one really understands it, perhaps
> no-one ever will understand it, so the best we can do is spend a
> fortune on engineering solutions to problems which may or may not
> exist." This seems to be the line. Mil-spec power supply connectors
> indeed!
>
> Item_audio may say here that he agrees that the TAS articles rely too
> much on subjective evaluation, but this doesn't stop him quoting
> completely subjective twaddle on his web site, from a rave review of
> one of his products in Hifi World. Apparently his streamer makes the
> Spice Girls listenable!

Who/what is this SBGK?

Carbon Fibre brakes are good. They're expensive, which irritates people
- but they are an inherently better component. If you make things with
components that are better, it will be more expensive. This is
axiomatic, and inevitable. They will not be 10x better although 10x
more expensive.

Only a fool would say we understand everything there is to know about
digital audio now and forever. There will be a new Squeezebox along in
a minute that washes 'whiter than white'....

But making a computer sound better is a very simple matter of applying
better components: there's no FUD about that. Sometimes 'better' is
free. Sometimes - particularly with power supplies - TANSTAAFL.

You can't ignore subjective viewpoints, though you can of course
subjectively choose not to agree with them! With regard to audio being
engineering, that's true up to a point: it's also an art: its most
experienced practitioners will tell you that measurements have to be
combined with subjective, trained listening.

--
item_audio