item_audio;692929 Wrote:
> Who/what is this SBGK?
>
> Carbon Fibre brakes are good. They're expensive, which irritates people
> - but they are an inherently better component. If you make things with
> components that are better, it will be more expensive. This is
> axiomatic, and inevitable. They will not be 10x better although 10x
> more expensive.
>
> Only a fool would say we understand everything there is to know about
> digital audio now and forever. There will be a new Squeezebox along in
> a minute that washes 'whiter than white'....
>
> But making a computer sound better is a very simple matter of applying
> better components: there's no FUD about that. Sometimes 'better' is
> free. Sometimes - particularly with power supplies - TANSTAAFL.
>
> You can't ignore subjective viewpoints, though you can of course
> subjectively choose not to agree with them! With regard to audio being
> engineering, that's true up to a point: it's also an art: its most
> experienced practitioners will tell you that measurements have to be
> combined with subjective, trained listening.
(Ignoring the puzzling reference to SBGK)

There is such a thing as pointless over-engineering. And the hifi
industry is full of it. Are you really suggesting that if I wanted to
spend £2000 on an upgrade to my system I would be better off improving
my "transport" than looking at my speakers, my room, digital correction
systems? I should worry about pico-second jitter, or tiny power supply
fluctuations while ignoring the gross distortions in the conversion of
electrical energy back into sound waves, and the further distortion of
those sound waves between my speakers and my ears?

Seriously, this knee jerk "source first" stuff has to stop.

--
darrell