There has been some discussion on the Touch forum about the EDO app and
the potential benfits to audio quality from the spdif output at 96k and
below.  This is not the primary purpose of the enhanced digital ouput
app but people have debated whether any possible change in audio quality
exists.  I throught it would be useful to spell out what the changes are
that are in EDO.  As I may speculate about any impact on sound quality,
I thought I'd do it here as its definately a discussion for the
audiophile forum.

EDO essentially comprises three parts:

1) A custom linux kernel which is the standard Logitech kernel with the
following changes:
- spdif - additional clock divider values to allow 176.4/192k playback
- usb scheduler - minor changes including change of default compilation
options to allow most dacs to connect to usb
- usb audio - major changes to include most of the more recent linux
kernel changes that support uac2
- experimental alternative kernel idle routine

2) A squeezeplay applet which allows the kernel to be installed and
provides menus to select the output device.  It also starts up the audio
output of squeezeplay and uses does a couple of things differently from
standard squeezeplay:
- it does not start an effects jive_alsa process (it is assumed users
don't want to hear the effects processing)
- it bypasses the alsa plug layer and uses the spdif output "TXRX"
directly, simplifying the amout of processing required between jive_alsa
and the spdif output driver
- increases the priority of the irq task associated with the spdif
driver (primarily to improve performance for 192k playback)

3) A new jive_alsa binary which adds support for additional alsa formats
for packing samples into asla frames - this is necessary for the usb dac
support, but there are no changes which I believe would impact spdif.

Now I don't claim sound quality improvements from any of these for spdif
playback and I have not done any critical listening for this.  I would
also not want to make any claims without being able to measure the
circuit in more detail.  However you could speculate about the
following:
- not sending output to the analog will avoid there being any data sent
to the internal dac and avoid any data related load on this part of the
circuit/psu
- bypassing the alsa plug layer will reduce cpu load
- not having a second jive_alsa process running reduces cpu load
slightly

However all these could be achieved with TT3 (I don't run it, but
reading the code it looks like it will do this and much more)  So its
probably best to see EDO as doing the more obvious bits of TT3 to me.

There is one other component of the app which is dissabled by default
and is a complete experiement - this is the kernel idle option.  This
can be turned on from Settings > Advanced > Digital Output.  What it
does is subsitute the default kernel idle task (which allows the cpu to
enter low power mode) for an alternative one (which does not enter low
power mode).  I speculate that if cpu load has an impact on sound
quality then this should have an impact less than 100% cpu means the
idle task is being run.  I would be very interested if people can tell
the difference with it enabled or not....