darrenyeats wrote:
> The most important things are recording, room acoustics, loudspeakers.
>
> The effective SQ of a good recording on my Roberts kitchen system far
> exceeds that of a poor recording on my main system. You can't un-brick
> wall a brick walled remaster etc. In this sense "source first" is
> correct. It's just that variation between recordings utterly dwarfs any
> differences between well-engineered digital front ends. I believe it's
> well worth spending effort, time and money on seeking out better masters
> of your favourite recordings.
> Darren
>
> Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

True Darren but also keep in mind that even the best mastering cannot
rescue a bad recording. For example even the superbly remastered
collection of the original Louis Armstrong Hot Five and Hot Seven, "The
Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings" cannot manage to provide the
missing high and low end that was not captured when these seminal
recordings were made back in the 1920s. Sure this is an extreme case but
nonetheless just as great equipment cannot correct poor mastering, great
mastering cannot correct a poor recording.