Mnyb wrote:
> Must enrich myself with more early jazz recordings :)
>
> Don't bash " jazz at the pawn shop" to hard , it is used out of it's
> cultural context (I'm from Sweden to btw as are the players on that
> record ) they swing quite ok for not being the real thing , but it is
> played to destruction at hifi demos .... btw that actual club " the pawn
> shop"  sounds like that had a beer or two there.
> See it like hip hop not from the ghettos of USA people from around the
> world will try the genre themselves making something else out of it.
>
> It is in itself quite remarkable that in the 30's 40's 50's 60's etc
> there was a large faction of Swedish musicians trying to play Jazz ,that
> emulation might not suite people used to the real thing :) this was
> obvious white middle class people but they saw the quality in the music
> and did their best and i like some of their efforts ., I don't think
> racism ever was an issue for those dudes (way ahead of their times ) .
>
> Btw 2: Jazz at the pawnshop is an old analog recording 197X captured on
> an old NAGRA open reel deck, it's has it own limits so the SACD is the
> usual audiophile scam ,but on the other hand the CD master is old and a
> remaster was overdue so the remaster was obviously released on SACD .
>
> BUT YOU ARE CORRECT THE REAL THING BEATS IT ALL , I TO HAVE PROBLEM WITH
> ERZATS AUDIOPHILE MUSIC THAT PRETENDS TO BE THE REAL DEAL ? I HAVE A
> CERTAIN DISLIKE FOR STOCKFISH RECORDINGS FOR EXAMPLE .
> You are Toast the day you select recordings from these special
> audiophile brands instead of taking part in the general music culture
> and I don't mean the top 100 ,there are a lot of special esoteric music
> around that never will hit the charts,

We are way, way off topic now but just to finish up the JATPS
discussion, there is plenty ersatz swing jazz still being played today
and most it happens right in NYC on W. 47th St.. The main reason I don't
like this treatment of jazz is that it treats jazz as if it's a dead
that needs to be preserved rather than as a living and thriving music.
So I'll take living musicians playing modern music along with recordings
of the jazz giants of old instead of watered down recreations of the
music such as JATPS.

Not to say that there isn't a place for presentations of jazz repertory,
just not at the expense of living, creative musicians and their music.