Hi, let me chime in for one more question: did I overlook the test for
server-side FLAC decoding vs. FLAC decoding on the touch itself?
I would be really interested in that one, especially also in a
comparison between the WiFi vs. Ethernet performance.

The rationale is that counter to "conventional" audiophile wisdom my
experience when testing 96/24 playback in iPeng was that the raw PCM
data actually caused a noticeably _higher_ system load compared to FLAC.
What this means is, that he system load caused by decoding FLAC is
actually less than the load caused by the higher amount of data (roughly
factor 2) for PCM. It was quite noticeable even on a device as
performant as iPad 3.

Now, the iPad of course always uses WiFi (no Ethernet there) and it's
quite obvious that the load actually HAS to be higher: all the data
needs to go through the WPA decoding which certainly requires more power
than FLAC decoding.
But then I'm not sure that the WPA decoding isn't done in the WiFi
chipset so that the CPU (where I noticed the difference in load) doesn't
ever get involved.

Any chance you'd run one (OK, four) more test(s)?