SoftwireEngineer wrote:
> @Archimago - my speakers are fine. Just wanted to point out because of
> less number of drivers (than my previous Silverline Sonatina) it needs a
> different position.
> I have seen speaker designers say they do not shoot for a flat frequency
> response in an anechoic chamber, because with real music it does not
> sound good. I am not sure they are just trying to pander to the
> "audiophile" crowd with this statement. I personally, go for specs as
> well as sound. Many audiophile brands are not true "high-fidelity"
> systems. They are tuned to sound in a certain way. One of the Integrated
> Amps I had earlier 'AudioRefinement Complete' (ralph has it, I think)
> was found to be designed purposely with some non-linear compression by
> hackers ie. louder treble sounds get attenuated more. Apparently, this
> is done to voice it like tube amps. I have not liked this at all. The
> Primare brand is also voiced similarly based on my listening at the
> stores here. One of the reasons I like my true digital amplifiers (like
> TACT and Panasonic) very transparent. An audio reviewer also mentions he
> uses the current Nuforce D100 as the ultimate reference for
> transparency.
> I prefer 'live/dynamic/realistic/transparent' sound. My Newform seems a
> little bit "polite" compared to Magnepans which was the speakers I
> really liked for the 'live' sound.
> Sound can be created in many ways (dynamic, planar/ribbon, etc and
> solid-state/tube etc) it is difficult to say which one is really
> high-fidelity, I guess (some people say, micro-dynamics are good with
> tubes, I personally dont like that sound).

Yes I do have an 'AudioRefinement Complete' integrated amp and I use in
my bedroom system where it drives a pair of Energy Veritas 2.0 bookshelf
speakers. I would not call this setup particularly high end but it does
sound quite nice. I've used other amps to drive the Energy speakers and
no other amp sounds as good as the AudioRefinement. For some reason
these two (three, really) pieces work very well together.

On your other points regarding the many different methods available to
reproduce recorded sounds and music, this is something that is often
overlooked by many people when they try to make definitive statements
about audio, such as "the Quads are the best speakers" or "Krell amps
are the best". For each different method there are a different set of
positives and negatives and not everyone agrees on which method sounds
best for them. So some people like dynamic speakers driven by solid
state class A/B amps while other people prefer point source speakers
driven by tube amps. To which I say, hey it's money so listen to
whatever sounds best to you.