@Archimago - my speakers are fine. Just wanted to point out because of
less number of drivers (than my previous Silverline Sonatina) it needs a
different position.
I have seen speaker designers say they do not shoot for a flat frequency
response in an anechoic chamber, because with real music it does not
sound good. I am not sure they are just trying to pander to the
"audiophile" crowd with this statement. I personally, go for specs as
well as sound. Many audiophile brands are not true "high-fidelity"
systems. They are tuned to sound in a certain way. One of the Integrated
Amps I had earlier 'AudioRefinement Complete' (ralph has it, I think)
was found to be designed purposely with some non-linear compression by
hackers ie. louder treble sounds get attenuated more. Apparently, this
is done to voice it like tube amps. I have not liked this at all. The
Primare brand is also voiced similarly based on my listening at the
stores here. One of the reasons I like my true digital amplifiers (like
TACT and Panasonic) very transparent. An audio reviewer also mentions he
uses the current Nuforce D100 as the ultimate reference for
transparency.
I prefer 'live/dynamic/realistic/transparent' sound. My Newform seems a
little bit "polite" compared to Magnepans which was the speakers I
really liked for the 'live' sound.
Sound can be created in many ways (dynamic, planar/ribbon, etc and
solid-state/tube etc) it is difficult to say which one is really
high-fidelity, I guess (some people say, micro-dynamics are good with
tubes, I personally dont like that sound).