Daverz wrote:
> I don't feel I need to have heard any Magico speakers to be skeptical of
> their value given the many fine 2-way designs that are much cheaper and
> the many fine full-range speakers that are also much cheaper.

You should absolutely be very skeptical of these very expensive speakers
but but being skeptical is different from being dismissive. In my last
post I somewhat defended Magico so in this post I'll take the opposite
side. The funny thing is that even my critique of the Magico's is less
about the actual speakers and more about the high end audio business in
general.

What I see as a problem in the high end audio world, a problem that
works to Magico's advantage, is the lack of true comparison listening in
all the glowing reviews of expensive speakers and equipment like Magico.
Oh sure the Magico's get "compared" with other super expensive speakers
but they never, ever get compared with similar designs costing for less.
Everything in high end audio reviews gets grouped strictly by price and
never by performance, which is a much metric for comparison. This is
just another of the many ways that high end audio reviewers show their
true clown colors. At $12,000 per pair the Magico S1s have lots of
competition and yet with all the reviews that will published of these
speakers (and they will get reviewed) not one review will compare these
speakers to speakers costing less than I wold guess $9K to $10K.

Going into an audio salon and buying the most expensive equipment
available does not take skill or knowledge, all it takes is lots of
money. The same principle applies to reviewing, just reviewing mega-buck
equipment does not provide any degree of perspective to the entire range
of equipment choices available. In effect what I'm saying is that any
decent of speakers as expensive as the Magicos should include
comparisons not only with similarly priced speakers but with much lower
priced, similar designs as well, if only to provide the consumer with
some idea of what benefit, if any, the extra cost of the Magicos is
providing.

So you see I am not really criticizing Magico but rather the business
model that supports these hyper expensive products.