darrenyeats wrote:
> Hold on chaps!
>
> If you subscribe to "high fidelity is fidelity to the recording" then I
> agree with your valve skepticism.
>
> If you subscribe to "high fidelity is getting my favourite recordings to
> sound reminiscent of real life" then valves have their place! I have
> experienced them doing a great job of opening up certain kinds of older
> recordings. In this sense they can be quite "musical", in my
> experience.
>
> Personally I veer to the former view but I don't think there is a right
> and wrong about it. I think valve lovers are on very shaky ground to
> claim their equipment is better in any objective sense. But it might be
> better in a subjective sense for their system and their favourite
> recordings, I think.
> Darren
Once when I walked into a high-end audio store around
Kitchener-Waterloo, Canada I was completely captivated by the sound of
some pricey tube equipment driving some expensive speakers. At that I
could only buy the recording, but later on while investigating tubes,
even though they sound good, they sound the same on all the recordings
!!! Probably good for my Indian classical or Jazz, but not for my
classic rock or classical collection. After a while, it is actually a
'version of reality' but not 'reality' itself, that is true fidelity to
the recording. The idea of having a high-fidelity equipment is you can
actually hear different genres as they sound in their typical venues. I
doubt tubes can do this.