ralphpnj wrote:
> Wow my head is spinning with all these detailed and well reasoned posts.
> However everyone fails to address the core issue and the one that really
> gets me upset with the world of high end audio. The issue being the use
> of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) by industry insiders, which
> includes manufacturers and the high end audio press, to drum up new
> business.
>
> [...]
>
> The latest audiophile craze of DSD is a fine example of the use of FUD
> since to date there is no clear evidence that a DSD offers any sonic
> advantage over high resolution PCM (which is also guilty of the same,
> since there is no clear evidence that high resolution PCM offers any
> sonic advantage over standard resolution (16bit/44.1khz) PCM). And as
> I've stated more than once - many DSD recordings currently available
> were at one time or another converted to PCM -> edited -> converted back
> DSD - which makes them basically PCM recordings.

Given the questionable sonic benefit of DSD audio and the fact that the
SACD (which still might be the most common transport medium for DSD)
seems to have quite an effective 'copy protection'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD#Copy_protection) the goal
of promoting DSD seems pretty obvious to me: The 'audio content
industry' wants to re-establish their former status quo that stood out
by ridiculously high margins (for only little 'added value'). If you can
sell expensive players (necessary for enforcing the copy protection)
it's also interesting for 'high end audio' device manufacturers (and
consequentially mandatory for the 'high end audio' press to rave about
DSD).