darrenyeats wrote:
> Very good. Science being very mathematical, his argument is
> unsurprisingly maths-based and he quantifies how successive theories get
> less wrong. Also he picked really simple things like the shape of the
> earth, and indeed this has been refined over time. Sadly, Relativity and
> QM marked a complete and utter throwing out of prior classical
> -concepts-. But because mathematically their equations give similar
> (just slightly more accurate) answers than classical physics in most
> normal situations, would the author want us to think they were merely
> refinements? I can't see it.
IMO they were refinements based on revolutionary but somewhat inevitable
concepts.

darrenyeats wrote:
> But Relativity and QM are extremely rare events in science. I can't
> think of any revolutions that compare since.
I'm not quite sure. Of course it's very hard to decide what constitutes
a (scientific) revolution. Even though the entries of the following list
might not have the same momentousness as (general) relativity theory or
QM, they are amongst my 'personal favourites':
- Watson's an Crick's work on the structure of the DNA molecule (might
be practically even more important than QM)
- Andrew Wiles' proof of Fermat's Last Theorem (even though the
conjecture is not very notable the proof is)
- The invention of Public Key Cryptography (Ellis, Cocks, Diffie &
Hellman and [potentially many] others)

darrenyeats wrote:

> If there were no future revolutions I'd be disappointed!
Me too!