pablolie wrote:
> but i believe when companies don't open-mindedly acknowledge disruption,
> they get obsolete and replaced by new companies that do.

Indeed. A week ago I had the pleasure to attend an event where David
Byrne and independent music publisher Michel Lambot discussed the future
of the music business. They both predicted that the CD (and DVD) would
be dead in 5 years, with vinyl hanging on as a "fetish object" (Byrne's
words). Lambot showed some interesting figures - total music sales
revenue in countries such as Sweden is actually up, mainly due to
streaming services. He also showed how the revenue (to artist and record
label) for a single spotify stream is very small, but still 10 times as
much as on youtube and 100 times as much as for a BBC Radio 1 listener.

Byrne also told how her daughter mostly listens to music through the
speaker on her smart phone. First he thought the quality was awful, but
then realized it was much better than the transistor radio he had when
growing up.

So yes, disruption is happening, and you either go with it or become
roadkill. But the old guard will fight it every step of the way...

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953