ralphpnj wrote:
> Sorry to have to use this word: depends, as in it depends on a quite a
> few factors. What kind of speakers, where are the speakers be placed,
> how loud do you like to listen to music, will you be using a subwoofer,
> etc. All of these factors are important and should be taken into
> consideration when assembling an audio system.
>
> Another thing to keep in mind is that when I say that a $200 amp may
> offer 95% of the performance of a $50,000 amp it doesn't necessarily
> mean that the $50,000 amp sounds better all the time but rather that the
> $200 sounds as good as the $50,000 amp 95% of the time. In other words
> what the extra $49,800 gets you is better sound 5% of the time, say
> during an orchestral peak or a very low bass note, otherwise the two
> amps may indeed sound almost identical, meaning that in a double blind
> test one would not be able to reliably tell the difference. But then
> DBTs are verboten in the world of high end audio.

I thought I was pretty clear:  With the same speakers. And with speakers
that match the load and sensitivity needs of the amp. I perhaps didn't
overtly state the same room, but it was implied.

So in those conditions, the amps/DACs would sound the same, is that
right?

DBTs are great ideas -- I've participated in two at a large speaker
manufacturer, where they use DBTs to determine which speaker sounds
best.  They're eye-opening to say the least.

I'd love to participate in a well-set-up DBT of amp and DAC. I would
imagine your idea of a good DBT would probably be vastly different from
mine.

Jason