arnyk wrote:
> Can you share any positive results of following this advice?

>From here
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/850044-foobar-2000-abx-test-redbook-vs-192-24-a.html
-"Keeping my attention focused for a proper aural listening posture is
brutal. It is VERY easy to drift into listening for frequency
domains--which is usually the most productive approach when recording
and mixing. Instead I try to focus on depth of the soundstage, the sound
picture I think I can hear. The more 3D it seems, the better. "
-

-
"Caveats--Program material is crucial. Anything that did not pass
through the air on the way to the recording material, like ITB synth
tracks, I'm completely unable to detect; only live acoustic sources give
me anything to work with. So for lots of published material, sample
rates really don't matter--and they surely don't matter to me for that
material. However, this result is also strong support for a claim that
I'm detecting a phenomenon of pure sample rate/word length difference,
and not just incidental coloration induced by processing. The latter
should be detectable on all program material with sufficient freq
content.
Also, these differences ARE small, and hard to detect. I did note that I
was able to speed up my decision process as time went on, but only
gradually. It's a difference that's analogous to the difference between
a picture just barely out of focus, and one that's sharp focused
throughout--a holistic impression. For casual purposes, a picture that
focused "enough" will do--in Marketing, that's 'satisficing'. But of
course I always want more."
-

-
"I tried to listen for soundstage depth and accurate detail. It took a
lot of training repetitions, and remains a holistic impression, not any
single feature I can easily point to. It seems to me that the 192 files
have the aural analogue of better focus. To train, I would try to hear
*precisely* where in front of me particular sound features were located,
in two dimensions: left-to-right, and closer-to-further away--the foobar
tool would then allow me to match up which two were easier to precisely
locate. I know it muddies the waters, but I also had a very holistic
impression of sound (uhhhhhh) 'texture'??--in which the 192 file was
smoother/silkier/richer. The 192 is easier on the ears (just slightly)
over time; with good sound reproduction through quality headphones (DT
770) through quality interface (RME Babyface) I can listen for quite a
while without ear fatigue, even on material that would normally be
considered pretty harsh (capsule's 'Starry Sky', for example), and which
*does* wear me out over time when heard via Redbook audio."
-

-
"Practice improves performance. To reach 99.8% statistical reliability,
and to do so more quickly (this new one was done in about 1/3 the time
required for the trials listed above in the thread), I mainly have to
train my concentration.

It is *very* easy to get off on a tangent, listening for a certain
brightness or darkness, for the timbre balance in one part, several
parts, or all--this immediately introduces errors, even though this type
of listening is much more likely to be what I am and need to be doing
when recording and mixing a new track.

Once I am able to repeatedly focus just on spatial focus/accuracy--4
times in a row, for X & Y, and A & B--then I can hit the target. Get
lazy even one time, miss the target."
-

-
It took me a **lot** of training. I listened for a dozen wrong things
before I settled on the aspects below.

I try to visualize the point source of every single instrument in the
mix--that's why I picked a complex mix for this trial. I pinpoint
precisely where each instrument is, and especially its distance from the
listener. Problem is, both versions already have *some* spatial depth
and placement, it's only a matter of deciding which one is deeper, and
more precise. I've tried making determinations off of a particular part,
like a guitar vamp or hi-hat pattern, but can't get above about 2/3
correct that way.
The better approach is just to ask myself which version is easier to
precisely visualize, as a holistic judgment of all the pieces together.
Equally effective, or rather equally contributing to the choice, is
asking which version holistically gives me a sense of a physically
larger soundstage, especially in the dimension extending directly away
from me--thus the idea of listening to reverb characteristics.
Having to listen to four playbacks (A/B, X/Y, for one choice) gives rise
to the problem of desensitization. Neurons naturally give decreased
response to repetitions, so I've found I can target my answer more
easily if I pause 5-10 seconds between an A/B (or an X/Y). Otherwise,
A/B is always easier than X/Y.
I have rather junky monitors, KRK Rokit 6's, so I'm kind of surprised I
can get a result out of them. To get down into low single digits I
shifted to my headphones pushed by a nice Schiit Asgard2 amp, which I
just acquired--if your headphones are good, I'd recommend using them for
the testing. This is more for isolation than anything else.
-