Julf wrote:
> Indeed, the tests in that specific thread are not very interesting as
> such: What they might show, and I assume that is why you posted the
> link, is that some differences might be extremely small, and require a
> lot of training and concentration to pick out. I guess the
> non-audiophile in me tends to go "and if the differences are that small,
> does it actually matter?", as in "does a difference so small that I have
> to go through extreme measures to hear it actually affect my enjoyment
> of the music?".
Well this guy, ultmusisnob, stated that he had a decided preference for
high-res material in his "normal" sighted listening. The ABX test
results & his description of the necessary training, focus & attention
needed to produce positive ABX results show a number of things. Your
interpretation is just one such angle, another would be that what is
easily differentiated in long-term listening becomes very difficult to
differentiate in this form of testing & requires some very specific
techniques & test matrial to do so i.e it is a reflection on the test
itself rather than on the material being tested.

Some of this he summarises in his post