Gandhi wrote:
> Drawing the target curve is a nice way of creating it. It's hard to
> understand the effect of the custom filters without trying them ears on,
> but it seems you find them helpful. As far as I understand it, it would
> be far more difficult to do that in REW.

Drawing the target curve clearly changes the sound and this can be heard
and confirmed with REW when I measure the effect... Of course there are
limits to this since not every suck-out can/should be corrected by the
DSP.

> You can export the impulse response to a WAV file. I use the WAV with
> the LMS plugin BruteFirDrc, which uses the convolution engine BruteFIR,
> http://www.ludd.luth.se/~torger/brutefir.html. BruteFIR only works in
> *ix (hum, could that possibly be changed?). It is optimised for Intel,
> but someone recompiled it for ARM and it worked.

I've always wondered if BruteFIR can be converted to Windows. I don't
see why not! Anyone out there have done this?

I looked around earlier this year and could not find Windows binaries
before upgrading to JRiver 20. The nice thing with JRiver 20 is that the
DSP processing can now be applied to DLNA/UPnP libraries before
streaming out. This allows my server computer which has a decently
powerful CPU to do all the processing to whatever device I have with the
power of the JRiver UI to get the upsampling and DSP chain the way I
like. I just have to get the room response, load it up on the server
with JRiver running, and away it goes for streaming to whatever DLNA
device I have...

Note though that I really still HATE DLNA/UPNP since I feel LMS is so
much better, faster, more flexible... If someone could build a good DSP
engine into it (alas Inguz is too unreliable for me and seems
abandoned?), there could be lots of fun to be had!

> In REW all you can do automatically is averaging multiple measurements.
> I wonder if there is a better way of solving that problem automatically?
> Optimise with respect to what? You could of course override anything
> manually.

Hmmm. I'll have to try this out when I have time!

> That would be very interesting. I must say I am a bit skeptic about the
> commercial softwares. Some of them comes highly recommended, but I'm not
> convinced that those developers know more about filters than others.
> (They are also quite pricy. Small companies with low sales volumes, I
> guess.)

This has been my issue with the commercial DRC software as well... They
do seem pricy: Acourate 286 Euro for non-EU country, Dirac $500CAD
stereo & $900CAD multichannel, AudioLense at least 165 Euro for basic
version to 390 Euro for the XO version.

Would be great if someone could compare/contrast and provide an opinion!

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.