Archimago wrote:
> I see DRCDesigner as a "cheap man's" AudioLense, Acourate, or Dirac.
> Simple but reasonable UI, easy way to measure room impulse up to 24/96
> for each stereo channel separately, simple design of target curve and
> easy batch creation of FIR filters for convolution plug-ins like the one
> in JRiver. Works well and you can customize the "strength" of the
> correction used by DRC to calculate these FIR filters.

Drawing the target curve is a nice way of creating it. It's hard to
understand the effect of the custom filters without trying them ears on,
but it seems you find them helpful. As far as I understand it, it would
be far more difficult to do that in REW.

Archimago wrote:
> Although I use REW to do a number of measurements, and in the past have
> used it to calculate parametric EQ settings for my room, is it capable
> of producing FIR filters these days?

You can export the impulse response to a WAV file. I use the WAV with
the LMS plugin BruteFirDrc, which uses the convolution engine BruteFIR,
http://www.ludd.luth.se/~torger/brutefir.html. BruteFIR only works in
*ix (hum, could that possibly be changed?). It is optimised for Intel,
but someone recompiled it for ARM and it worked.

Archimago wrote:
> One limitation of the free DRC/Designer is that only one location can be
> measured. For me, I think this is fine for stereo - I just care about
> the sweetspot and doubt this is a significant problem.

In REW all you can do automatically is averaging multiple measurements.
I wonder if there is a better way of solving that problem automatically?
Optimise with respect to what? You could of course override anything
manually.

Archimago wrote:
> Has anyone seen a good writeup comparing DRC packages like the
> aforementioned AudioLens/Acourate/Dirac vs. DRC?

That would be very interesting. I must say I am a bit skeptic about the
commercial softwares. Some of them comes highly recommended, but I'm not
convinced that those developers know more about filters than others.
(They are also quite pricy. Small companies with low sales volumes, I
guess.)

Best Regards,
Gandhi

not often enough well recorded and mastered cds *|* dbpoweramp with
accuraterip *|* flac *|* fanless asrock z77e-itx intel i5-3570t *|*
ubuntu 12.04.1 lts 32-bit *|* lms 7.8.0 *|* brutefirdrc 3.0 (rewv5) *|*
transporter (balanced out) *|* thule ia252b *|* audio physic scorpio *|*
no fancy cables. *+* also some booms. *+* harmony 525s for them all,
including waking the server from s3.