Gandhi wrote:
> Yes, REW and BrutefirDRC are surprisingly efficient. I would never have
> imagined. I would actually have paid a lot for a commercial solution to
> get this result, but as I didn't know the power of DRC (and I'm also
> cheap), I figured I'd try free software first. Sometimes you're just
> lucky!
>
> The bottom range would otherwise be very difficult to fix without large
> bass traps, which is not an option here.
>

> I really should have some panels too, mainly behind my head (small
> room), but I try to manage without. Having a good bookshelf, a decent
> carpet and fluffy furniture helps. Though I'm sure it would be very
> beneficial behind me, I will never ever resort to 'audiophile art'! :-)
> Are your panels large or are they just to fix the sweet spot? Do they
> help outside it? Is it a big improvement?
>

> Amen to that.
>
> What frequency range do you correct and are you happy with it? I only do
> 20-200Hz, but there's a lump at 300-400Hz which I should probably fix
> too, although I'm afraid of fiddling too much with the frequencies of
> the human voice. Do you have any recommendations or rules of thumb? Have
> you experimented?

Hey Gandhi,
I used REW and parametric EQ until earlier this year. I used to just
apply 20-150Hz or so; leaving the rest of the mids and trebles since it
was relatively accurate already.

Last few months, I've been use DRCDesigner to do the measurements,
target curve adjustment and it incorporates the free DRC package to
calculate the filters... I've experimented a bit and generally like the
traditional B&K target curves (either B&K1 or B&K3) and I've had great
success with applying correction through the whole 20Hz-20kHz spectrum!
I've been using the JRiver convolution engine (a bit of a twisted route
with DLNA/UPnP to access the Squeezebox library).

Have used REW to verify the frequency response improvement as well as
verified significantly improved impulse response in the time domain with
each channel so know that what I'm hearing corresponds to objective
accuracy. :-)

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.